Monday, January 19, 2009

The Prime Smokehouse

This place is a classic southern style food restaurant. Excellent food, and more importantly, excellent jazz. I went there on Friday expecting just to hear a saxophone in the background as I enjoyed my meal. I was surprised when I heard John Coltrane tunes as well as Dizzy Gillespie classics!

The band consisted of 2 highly talented trumpets, one saxophone, one drummer, and one keyboard. You know how when you listen to a band, there is usually one player that is not as strong as the rest? This was not the case for this band at all. They are called "The Brian Miller Band".

My co-worker is married to Brian Miller. He is by far the best saxophone player I have heard to date. I found out about this originally through a jazz meetup. I found out later that one of my co-workers was married to the player! Al, one of my jazzy co-workers wanted to go. I told him that Semaj and I were going to attend. We ended up having the best Friday night ever!!!

Aside from the excellent music that made the atmosphere just to die for, the food is excellent and the staff and owner are the friendliest! I got the best service there, and it's been a while.

The Prime Smokehouse is 45 minutes away from where I live, but it is by far, worth it to go. The owner's name is Ed Wiley III, and his father, a very famous saxophone player is Ed Wiley Jr. He is 78 years old and is still very active in his musical pursuits. Amazing.

If you ever stop by North Carolina to visit, I will definitely take you there. Just remember to come on a Friday or Saturday night, because that's when the good Jazz comes out to play. Have a good night all, and listen to some great jazz!

1 Comments:

At 8:11 PM , Blogger MOMQUOTE said...

My kind of food and my kind of music. I would love to go there next time I visit you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home